FFA Part of LT and American School Culture

Gwen Reed, reporter

FFA (Future Farmers of America) is an organization within Lake Travis that builds the character of students through the opportunity to showcase their interests. While FFA is ultimately most well-known for their livestock shows, it also holds events showcasing students’ art, welding, gardening, cooking and more.

Students involved in the livestock raising portion of FFA have the opportunity to care for and raise a farm animal (or multiple) of their choice. These include steer, lambs, goats, pigs and even bunnies. FFA members put in countless hours caring for their animals; visiting them at the Ag barn (located past the Men’s field house near the water tower) before and after school, feeding, walking, training, and bonding with them. This time spent between the students and their animals is crucial to their relationship. The closer their bond, the better they work together at shows, and the better they both look to the judges.

Their time and effort is rewarded when show time rolls around. This is where students showcase their livestock to multiple judges throughout the day. The primary goal is to impress the judges with a healthy, obedient animal and ultimately make sale. A successful sale results in a student making a profit in relation to the money they invested in taking care of their livestock overtime.

A common misconception about FFA is that all the animals are sold for meat.  Many students are actually able to keep their animal or decide where it goes after making sale. For large companies, being invested in FFA lowers their annual taxes, benefitting both Lake Travis’ FFA community and the companies themselves. Therefore, company patrons of FFA will purchase livestock from FFA students, and then donate it back to them, thus giving the student the privilege to decide their animal’s destiny.

FFA is an extraordinary learning opportunity for students interested in agriculture and animal-related .  They can learn more about the industry and are granted the responsibility to care for, bond with, and showcase their own livestock animals.