Racism in a Post-Racist World

Beckett Larcher, Reporter

In my three and a half years at Lake Travis, this year is the year which I have witnessed the most racism. The most shocking instance of racism which prompted me to write this article was when I witnessed two white students referring to black students as the N word. This instance alludes to an overarching theme on campus, it is my personal experience that racism occurs more often than you might think on campus, but to avoid punishment it is exported and expressed in subaltern avenue to avoid punishment. The reality of Lake Travis is that we live in a suburb in Texas in a predominately white area, and it is the hard reality that a lot of racism that is in our community has managed to find its way into our school, which has allowed very real violence to manifest at school. I have even witnessed parents being racist to students of color out of school, resulting in an unsafe environment. With violence like this occurring in our community it is important that we do not leave it unaddressed and take steps to combat it.

In order to combat this, both the school and students have to take action, although it may seem elementary, it is key to breaking down these barriers in order to have a safe and welcoming learning environment that is accessible to all. Breaking down these types of assumptions is key to ensuring that when we leave school we are citizens who help make a better world. As students, it is important for us not to stay silent when events of racism occur on campus, racism is allowed to flourish when we stay silent about it. I think it would be incredibly useful for the school to have teacher or even an assembly about racism on campus, how using derogatory slurs on campus is unacceptable and promote an awareness program about the atrocities that come from racism. It is important that we have conversations about issues such as racism as students, not dividing ourselves into arbitrary political lines, what is at issue here is not advanced politics, but being a decent colleague to our students.

In a world that is so divided by hatred, it is important that we as a student body are a community and not divided, being divided only results in hatred and a toxic environment. I think most students would want a safe space, but we can not approach the problems at campus in division but as a whole.