Trial and Error

Ainsley Maddalena, Reporter

As the first nine weeks some to an end, kids are scrambling to get last minute work in, make-up assignments, and anything else that will bring their sixty nines up to seventies. In past years, if you failed a Pre-Ap or AP class the first nine weeks, you would automatically be moved into a regular class or if you requested a change because the class wasn’t for you. This year, however, it is up to you, just you, to make that decision.

On Friday the 13th, you were allowed one last chance to have a schedule change, as I said before, by your own will. Some kids took advantage of this offer and jumped at the occasion. Others questioned it, mulling it over for a few days until they were ready to make a decision. Some didn’t even know. Now, I’m not going to continue on and on about how this works because I think by now you get the jist so I’m just going to tell you what I think.

First off, the end of the nine weeks happened to fall on a three day, we’ve just gotten off a four-day-weekend week and let me just say it was hectic. Now, I don’t know why they chose to take Monday off (because Columbus Day is a bunch of mumbo jumbo) and then have a teacher work day and then end the nine weeks right then and there and yes, sometimes that’s just how the cookie crumbles, but someone better not let this happen next year. I digress.

I was emailing teachers, checking TxConnect every hour or so, just to see if my teachers had put grades in and when I got back to school, myself as well as many other students were going in early every morning to make sure our grades were the best they could be.

As I was saying, this whole ‘Its up to you. ‘Think about your future.’ ‘Is this going to help you accede in your career path?’  idea is cool. I want to believe the administration trusts us, the students, enough to make mature decisions. Even though I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to do, I know which college I’m going to and for me, that’s enough.

I chose to stay in all of my classes (Pre-Ap and AP) because these past nine weeks have been some of the most difficult and distracting weeks in my entire life and I know I can do much better. I like to push myself academically and Lake Travis is an extremely competitive school district.

Maybe the administration is tired of making schedule changes and is just filling our heads with a bunch of mush mash hoping we’ll stumble enough that we’ll find our footing. Either way, it’s fine by me.